By Dana Ullman MPH
After learning the basics of homeopathy, some people love to study various homeopathic medicines as a way of finding their own and their friends’ constitutional medicine. Although it is not recommended one self-prescribe a constitutional medicine, it is still a useful exercise. The process of reading about the various typologies and of finding the appropriate one is a mixture of detective work, self-discovery, rational analysis, and intuitive assessment.
- A Homeopathic Guide to Partnership and Compatibility, Liz Lalor (a truly fascinating book that describes 19 key remedy and their bodymind personalities and then what remedy-types are personally compatible with others)
- Homeopathic Psychology, Philip Bailey, MD (This book is an excellent review of the personality of 34 leading homeopathic medicines.)
- Psyche and Substance: Essays on Homeopathy in the Light of Jungian Psychology, Edward C. Whitmont, MD. (This is a truly brilliant book written by a Jungian psychiatrist and homeopath who provides insight into the cosmology of homeopathy as well as insights into 10 leading homeopathic medicines.)
- The Soul of Remedies, Rajan Sankaran (Written by one of the most respected homeopaths in the world, this book summarizes the essence of 100 remedies in one or two pages each.)
- Emotional Healing with Homeopathy, by Peter Chappel, RSHom (This newly updated edition of an invaluable book for homeopaths and patients.)
- Prozac Free: Homeopathic Alternatives to Conventional Drug Therapies. Judyth Reichenberg-Ullman, ND, MSW, and Robert Ullman, ND. (This book provides insights into constitutional types as well as important medicines for acute anxiety and depressive states.)
- Dreams, Symbols, and Homeopathy: Archetypal Dimensions of Healing. Jane Cicchetti, RSHom, CCH (This is a brilliant book that integrates Jungian psychology and homeopathy.)
- Homeopathic Remedies for Life Stages. Didier Grandgeorge, MD. (This French pediatrician and classical homeopath provides great insights into the important remedies at the varying stages of life.)
- The Spirit of Homeopathic Medicines: Essential Insights to 300 Remedies. Didier Grandgeorge, MD (This book provides brief but lucid insights into 300 medicines.)
- The Homeopathic Treatment of Children: Pediatric Constitutional Types, Paul Herscu, ND. (This book describes the 9 leading pediatric constitutional types.)
- Homeopathic Remedy Pictures: Studying with Cartoons. Alexander Gothe and Julia Drinnenberg (This is a fun and clever way to learn about many of the most commonly prescribed homeopathic constitutional medicines. Whether you are a student or a practitioner, we all want to enjoy learning. This book is particularly useful for teachers.